Panzanella is a classic tomato and bread salad from Tuscany. This is a spring version with mozzarella, red onion and baby spinach leaves.
Servings: 4 people
- 5-6 medium tomatoes (cut into medium chunks)
- 1 red onion (chopped)
- 4 slices ciabatta loaf or crusty bread (cut into medium chunks)
- 2 mozzarella cheese (cut into medium chunks)
- 150 grams spinach leaves (fresh and chopped)
- olive oil extra virgin
- balsamic glaze
- In the medium skillet toast the bread chunks in little olive oil. Let cool it.
- In the medium bowl mix the tomatoes, red oinon, spinach leaves, 3 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon balsamic glaze and pinch of salt.
- Add the toasted bread and mozzarella cheese.
- Before serving let it rest for 2-3 minutes so that the dressing is absorbed by the bread. Mix it well.
Leave the crusts on the bread chunks as this will make the panzanella better. If use fresh, softy bread without toasted for the panzanella, in the salad it become very mushy. I like the toasted bread is little crunchy so I let the panzanella rest for 2-3 minutes. If you want juicier bread let the salad rest for 10-20 minutes.