Daikon is a great type of radish, fresh and crunchy. This Daikon (Winter Radish) salad is inspired by Kimchi recipes.
I like this spicy Daikon salad by itself and with scrambled eggs.
Servings: 4 people
- 1 daikon radish (winter/white radish) (peeled)
- 1 carrot (peeled)
- 1 small red onion
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled, minced)
- 1 teaspoon ginger (peeled, minced)
- ½ tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon crushed chilli or fresh jalapeno
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon Hungarian paprika powder (sweet)
- In a large bowl mix minced garlic, ginger, sugar, salt, rice vinegar, chilli, cayenne pepper powder and paprika powder. Set aside.
- Cut the daikon and carrot into julienne. (Use a knife or a mandolin slicer.)
- Slice the onion.
- Put julienne daikon, carrot and sliced onion in the bowl, and mix. Serve.
Crushed chilli, cayenne pepper powder and paprika powder can be replaced with Korean chili flakes (Gochugaru flakes). Any unused daikon salad can be refrigerated for some days.