This sour cherry pie is one of our favorite dessert and the summer’s ultimate pie. Easy to make and very delicious.
Servings: 8 people
- 26cm pie case
For the pie crust
- 400 grams all-purpose flour
- 250 grams butter (cold and cubed)
- pinch of salt
- 50 grams cold water
- 1 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoons milk
For the filling
- 750 grams fresh sour cherries (pitted)
- 150 grams sugar
- In a large bowl mix pitted sour cherries and 100 grams of sugar. Let it rest while the pie crust is making.
The Pie Crust
- Pulse flour and salt in a food processor to combine.
- Add butter and pulse until the mix has the texture of breadcrumbs.
- Add cold water over mixture. Pulse until become soft dough. Then dough is little crumbly but holds together when squeezed. If dough is too dry, add more 1-2 tablespoons water and pulse to combine.
- Wrap dough in plastic and refrigerate for about 1 hour.
Make Sour Cherry Pie
- Preheat the oven to 190℃ (375°F).
- Take the dough out of the fridge. Cut one-third of it for the topping.
- Roll out the rest dough and line the pie case with the dough.
- Strain the cherries and arrange them in the pie. Sprinkle with 50 grams of sugar.
- Roll out the rest dough and cut little flowers (or any form what you want). Cover the pie with the dough flowers.
- Brush the top of the pie with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 60 minutes, until golden brown.
- Let it cool slightly.
The leftover sour cherry juice is a perfect drink but needs to dilute with water. In Hungary sour cherry pie is eaten by itself. But you can serve it with ice-cream, custard or cream.