These cabbage fritters are inspired from popular Japanese street food called Okonomiyaki, but they are meatless and very simple.
Servings: 4 people
- 350 grams white cabbage (finely shredded)
- 1 red onion (finely chopped)
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon carraway powder
- a pinch of salt
- 2-3 tablespoons sunflower (or canola) oil (for frying)
- 3-4 tablespoons sour cream (Hungarian: tejföl)
- a pinch of crushed chilli or fresh jalapeno
- In a large bowl mix shredded cabbage, chopped onion, eggs, flour, salt and carraway powder. Stir to combine.
- In a large skillet (or pan), heat a tablespoon of oil over medium heat.
- Form a latkes in your hands and place it in the heated skillet. Press down with a spatula. Fry for 2-3 minutes on each side. until golden brown.
- Serve immediately with sour cream and chilli.
I used a food processor for easy cabbage and onion shredding and chopping.