The Green Shakshuka is a cool summer dish. Because we have zucchini, New Zealand spinach, jalapeno and new onion too in our garden and we love the dish made from the fresh vegetables.
And I have also homemade harissa powder in my kitchen because it is my favorite spices mix.
Servings: 2 people
- 1 medium zucchini (courgette) (No need to peel the fresh zucchini.)
- 2 cups spinach leaves New Zealand spinach (Tetragonia tetragonoides)
- 1 onion whith green leaves
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 teaspoon harissa powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 egg
- 3 tablespoons natural yogurt
- 1 tablespoon sunflower (or canola) oil
- Dice the zucchini. Dice also the onion and slice the green leaves of onion (or spring onion). Slice the fresh jalapeno.
- Heat oil in a pan (skillet) on medium heat. Add the onion than cook for 2-3 minutes or until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add the zucchini and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently. When zucchini has half softened, add ½ cup water, the salt, the jalapeno and the harissa powder and cook for another minute
- Add the spinach and stir until it just starts to wilt. Add the natural yogurt, stir it then turn the heat to low.
- Create 4 small gaps and crack the eggs into each well. Cover and cook for 12 minutes or until the whites are set but the yolks are creamy.
- Sprinkle green leaves of onion (or spring onion).