The potato paprikash is a traditional Hungarian dish. It is cheap, quick and delicious. Traditionally it is made with lard, sausage, bacon or some smoked meat but I like better the meatless version.
My potato paprikash is a potato “stew” with oil, onion and seasoning. Simply but very tasty.
- 1000 grams potatoes peeled, cut into medium size cubes
- 1 onion, diced
- half red bell pepper cut into small pieces
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon carraway powder
- 1 tablespoon sunflower (or canola) oil
- pinch of ground black pepper
- pinch of salt
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add the diced onion and a pinch of salt. Cook slowly until the onions are clear and glassy.
- Remove the pot from the heat, add the sweet (Hungarian) paprika powder, stir. (Do not burn the paprika!)
- Add the potatoes, the red bell pepper, the ground black pepper, the ground caraway seed and the minced garlic. Pour in just enough water to cover and cook it for about 20 minutes. If the the potatoes are cooked, Potato Paprikash is done.
Serve warm with homemade Hungarian Cabbage Salad. (I mash the potato paprikash in my plate.)