This Savoy Cabbage Casserole is our family version. The most important spice of Hungarian Layered Savoy Cabbage (Rakott kelkáposzta) is carraway.
Servings: 4 people
- glass casserole or baking dish
- 1 (smaller) savoy cabbage
- 1 cup (uncooked) rice
- 500 grams ground pork
- 1 onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon carraway powder
- pinch of ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sweet (Hungarian) paprika powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon sunflower (or canola) oil
- 500 grams sour cream (Hungarian: tejföl)
- At first cook the rice. Pick on the savoy cabbage into leaves and cook it in salted water.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large pan and add the diced onion and a pinch of salt. Cook slowly until the onions are clear and glassy.
- Place ground pork in the pan, add the sweet (Hungarian) paprika powder, the minced garlic, the carraway powder, the ground black pepper and the salt. (Do not burn the paprika!)
- Pour in just enough water to cover. Cover and cook it slowly for about 30 minutes.
- Oil a medium size baking dish.
- Put the one third of cooked savoy cabbage on the bottom, then spread half of the cooked rice and half of the cooked meat.Add a new layer of savoy cabbage, rice and meat and cover with the rest of the savoy cabbage.
- Spread sour cream on top and bake it in preheated oven (190 °C) for about 30-35 minutes.
Put more sour cream on the Hungarian layered savoy cabbage on the plate.
CategoriesLunch & Dinner