Hungarian Pound Cake is a little bit different, but it is dense, buttery, and rich. Its taste is so good. We call it balance cake and we bake it in a flat square cake pan.
This is an old recipe from my grandmother. In my childhood she maked this cake with margarin because during the socialisme the butter was expensive. Perhaps the butter was also in short supply. So, this recipe work with butter and margarine too. I think the pound cake is better with butter.
Servings: 10 people
- 1 square cake pan (30 cm x 40 cm/12 in x 16 in)
- 250 grams butter (or margarine)
- 300 grams sugar
- 5 eggs
- 4 tablespoons sour cream (Hungarian: tejföl)
- 450 grams plain flour
- 15 grams baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 190 ℃ (375°F).
- Line the cake pan with baking paper.
- Using an electric mixer on high speed, beat the butter with the sugar until light and fluffy.
- Mix continuously and add eggs one at a time, then add the sour cream and vanilla extract.
- Add the salt, flour and baking powder and after beating well.
- Pour in the cake pan and bake 25 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Check the pound cake with a toothpick inserted in center of cake. If it comes out clean, the cake is baked.
Serve a slice of pound cake with a cup of coffee or tea, pair it with whipped cream and berries. You can use also pound cake as the base for all kinds of desserts.