Peri-Peri Chicken Breast is my favourite. For the homemade Peri-Peri (or Piri-Piri) sauce I use Bird’s Eye chillies, but this recipe is very easy.
Peri-Peri or Piri-Piri Chicken?
Whati is the name of Portuguese grilled chicken?
Piri-piri, peri-peri or peli-peli is the name of tasty Portuguese grilled chicken. The variations in spelling derive from the various pronunciations. Although “piri-piri” is the correct spelling in Portuguese but “peri-peri” is more common on the world.
For the homemade Peri-Peri sauce
- 1-2 red peppers (chopped)
- 1-2 fresh chilli (chopped)
- 5-6 cloves garlic
- 1 lemon
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika powder
For the Peri-Peri Chicken
- homemade Peri-Peri sauce
- 4-5 skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 1-2 tablespoon sunflower (or canola) oil
The Peri-Peri Sauce
- Add the red peppers, chilli and garlic to the food processor. Blend the ingredients to make it coarsely.
- Add the juice of lemon and the zest of lemon, salt and smoked paprika. Blend the ingredients become smooth.
The Peri-Peri Chicken
- Cut every chicken breast 3-4 big pieces.
- Combine the chicken with the Peri-Peri Sauce and set aside to marinate at least for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large nonstick pan. Add the chicken breasts to the hot skillet.
- Cook every side of chicken breasts for 4 to 5 minutes without flipping them over.
- Add the remaining sauce (and ¼ cup of water, if it necessary), bring to boil, cover and cook for 20-25 minutes.
- Cook without lid until every side of chicken pieces became golden brown and covered with thick sauce. Serve.