This is my family recipe of Savory Biscuits with Cheese (Hungarian: pogacsa). The pogacsa is absoluteley the king of Hungarian savoury biscuits and we like much these savory, cheesy bites.
- 500 grams all-purpose flour
- 330 grams sour cream (Hungarian: tejföl)
- 100 grams butter (melted) (or margarine)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs
- 100 grams Cheddar cheese (or Gouda cheese) (grated)
- 15 grams baking powder
- Line two large baking sheet with baking parchments.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, sour cream, one egg, melted butter, half of grated cheese and salt. Stir until become a dough. I usually use a stand mixer for making a dough. The dough should be nice and smooth and non-sticky.
- Preheat the oven to 190℃ (375°F).
- In a small bowl beat one egg lightly.
- Roll the dough 1/2-inch-thick on the lightly floured surface.
- Brush all over the rolled dough with beaten egg.
- Make two single-folds. At first fold up the thirds of dough and fold down the thirds of dough, much like a letter is folded to fit into an envelope. Then fold the thirds of dough to left and fold the thirds of dough to right (cover the previous folding).
- Roll the dough 1,5-cm-thick (1/2-inch-thick), brush the dough with egg and make two single-folds again.
- Roll the dough 2,5-cm-thick (1-inch-thick). Make a shallow cross-hatched pattern with a sharp knife all over the dough surface. With a floured cutter, stamp out rounds with a 4,5-cm- (1 3/4-inch-) diameter.
- Brush every biscuits with egg and sprinkle the cheese on top. Press it very gently to stick to the egg.
- Arrange the biscuits on the baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes until nicely browned on their tops and bottoms.