Red cabbage and beetroot salad is a very simple winter salad. It is little bit crunchy, very delicious, beautiful color and full of vitamins.
My husband hates the beetroot but he likes this salad.
- 2500 grams red cabbage
- 6 red onions
- 1000 grams beetroots
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons (10 %) white vinegar
- 3 cups water
- Slice red cabbage and red onions very thin. (Use the mandoline.)
- Put red cabbage and red onion in a large bowl. Sprinkle with 2 teaspoon of salt and mix.
- Set it aside for 30 minutes. The salt will sweat the vegetable.
- When the cabbage softens drain, knead the salad shortly. Then start taking handfuls from the salted cabbage and squeeze them as well as you can.
- Peel the beetroots and grate using a grater or food processor.
- In a large bowl add the sugar and the vinegar to the water. Mix until sugar is dissolved. Put the pressed cabbage and grated beetroot in the vinegar mixture and mix well. Press the vegetable under the vinegar mixture.
- Leave it in the fridge for a few hours.
The Hungarian cabbage salad (Hungarian: Csalamádé) is a very classic salad side dishes. This red cabbage and beetroot salad is very similar but more colorful.