Red Lentil Soup is easy to throw together. It is a very cool soup on a chilly day. Meatless, hearty and quick to make because it is not necessary to soak the lentils the night before. Red lentils cook fast, becoming tender in 15-20 minutes.
Servings: 4 people
- 300 grams red lentils (1½ cups)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1-2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon Hungarian paprika powder (sweet)
- 1 tablespoon sunflower (or canola) oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ crushed chilli
- 1 can cherry tomatoes in tomato juice (or 4-5 tomatoes, chopped)
- Wash the red lentils.
- In a medium saucepan heat the oil, add the onion and sauté until golden.
- Add the red lentil and 2 liters water.
- Add the salt, garlic, garam masala powder, paprika powder, turmeric powder and cruched chilli. Stir.
- Bring to a boil and simmer until lentils are soft, about 20 minutes.
- Add the cherry tomatoes with tomato juice. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Taste and add salt if necessary. Serve warm right away.
Discover my favorite lentil recipes.