The Pea Stew is a very popular vegetable stew in Hungary. I like it if it is as spicy as the Pea Curry. Traditional Hungarian kitchen meets Indian kitchen in this recipe.
Servings: 4 people
- 300 grams greem peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1 onion diced
- 1 carrot
- 1 parsnip
- 1 tomato diced
- 1 teaspoon sweet (Hungarian) paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika powder
- ½ teaspoon Madras curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander seeds
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- pinch of crushed chili or fresh jalapeno
- ½ cup coconut milk (or double cream)
- sunflower (or canola) oil
- In the food processor grate the carrot and the parnsnip.
- In a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon oil and add the onion, the carrot and the parsnip. Stir and fry it 3-4 minutes.
- Add the green peas and pour water in the skillet to cover peas.
- Add the salt, the sweet and smoked paprika powder, the Madras curry powder, the ground ginger, the crushed chili and the tomato.
- Stir it and cook slowly unitl the peas are completely cooked.
- Add the coconut milk and the crushed garlic. Boil it.
Cooked rice is the pea curry’s side dish. Garnish with fresh coriander and green pea sprouts.
CategoriesLunch & Dinner