Chocolate coffee cake with marzipan is very delicious. If you like the chocolate, coffee and marzipan, you will love this cake.
The Cake Story
There is a famous confectionery in Budapest. It was first made the E80 cake here . E80 means “Elemér is 80 years old”. E80 cake has ganache, coffee mousse and marzipan layer and very special. This cake is my husband’s favorite and I made my E80 cake version for his birthday.
This is my homemade birthday cake. It has six layers with the chocolate ganache, coffee mousse and marzipan.
First I make the ganache.
Servings: 4 people
- 200 grams dark chocolate roughly chopped (Use quality semi-sweet chocolate bars.)
- 200 ml double cream (or heavy cream)
- Heat the cream in a small saucepan over medium heat until it begins to gently simmer. Do not boil and do not let it come to a rapid boil– that’s too hot!
- Quickly remove the cream from the heat, pour over the chocolate and whisk until smooth and glossy.
- Let it sit at room temperature to cool and thicken.
Then I make the Sponge Cake with ground almond.
Servings: 8 people
- Basics Non-Stick Springform Pan, 26 cm (10-Inch)
- 5 eggs
- 5 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoon plain flour (or cake flour)
- 100 grams ground almond
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Stir the flour, the baking powder and 4 tablespoons of ground almond.
- Separate the eggs whites and yolks.
- Whisk eggs whites until they become white and frothy. Add the sugar little by little and continue beating until sugar dissolves.
- Add the eggs yolks and continue beating carefully.
- After that, add the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder and ground almond mix) and mix well with spatula.
- Preheat oven to 190 °C/375°F and bake the batten for 25 minutes.
- The cake is ready when a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let it cool.
Serve the Sponge Cake cream or strawberries. Fill it with chocolate ganache.
Assemble the Chocolate Coffee Marzipan Cake
I make a coffee mousse on the cake top and I assemble the cake.
Servings: 10 people
- Chocolate Ganache cold
- Sponge Cake with ground almond I cut the cold sponge cake in half
- 250 grams marzipan (plain)
- 400 ml double cream (or heavy cream)
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 2 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 2 pack Dr. Oetker Gelatin fix (40 grams)
- Put back the bottom of Sponge Cake in the Basics Springform Pan.
- Put the half of Chocolate Ganache on top of the Sponge Cake.
- Roll the plain marzipan flat and round. Put the marzipan on the top of Chocolat Ganache.
- Put the other half of Chocolate Ganache on top of the marzipan.
- Put the top of Sponge Cake on the ganache layer.
- In the large bowl whisk the double cream and add constantly the Gelatin fix in the cram.
- Add the powdered sugar and instant coffee in the cream. Whisk until the cream become smooth and thick.
- Put the coffee mousse on the top of the cake.
- Leave the cake in the fridge to set for at least two hours.
Chocolate Coffee Marzipan Cake height approximately 12-13 cm (5 inches), if height of your Basics Springform Pan smaller, it should be elevated with baking paper sheets. Place the baking paper sheets on the inside of the ring and then put back the bottom of sponge cake back in the baking tin.