Chocolate coffee cake with marzipan is very delicious. If you like the chocolate, coffee and marzipan, you will love this cake.
The Cake Story
There is a famous confectionery in Budapest. It was first made the E80 cake here . E80 means “Elemér is 80 years old”. E80 cake has ganache, coffee mousse and marzipan layer and very special. This cake is my husband’s favorite and I made my E80 cake version for his birthday.
This is my homemade birthday cake. It has six layers with the chocolate ganache, coffee mousse and marzipan.
First I make the ganache.
- 200 grams dark chocolate roughly chopped (Use quality semi-sweet chocolate bars.)
- 200 ml double cream (or heavy cream)
- Heat the cream in a small saucepan over medium heat until it begins to gently simmer. Do not boil and do not let it come to a rapid boil– that’s too hot!
- Quickly remove the cream from the heat, pour over the chocolate and whisk until smooth and glossy.
- Let it sit at room temperature to cool and thicken.
Then I make the Sponge Cake with ground almond.
- Basics Non-Stick Springform Pan, 26 cm (10-Inch)
- 5 eggs
- 5 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoon plain flour (or cake flour)
- 100 grams ground almond
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Stir the flour, the baking powder and 4 tablespoons of ground almond.
- Separate the eggs whites and yolks.
- Whisk eggs whites until they become white and frothy. Add the sugar little by little and continue beating until sugar dissolves.
- Add the eggs yolks and continue beating carefully.
- After that, add the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder and ground almond mix) and mix well with spatula.
- Preheat oven to 190 °C/375°F and bake the batten for 25 minutes.
- The cake is ready when a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let it cool.
Assemble the Chocolate Coffee Marzipan Cake
I make a coffee mousse on the cake top and I assemble the cake.
- Chocolate Ganache cold
- Sponge Cake with ground almond I cut the cold sponge cake in half
- 250 grams marzipan (plain)
- 400 ml double cream (or heavy cream)
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 2 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 2 pack Dr. Oetker Gelatin fix (40 grams)
- Put back the bottom of Sponge Cake in the Basics Springform Pan.
- Put the half of Chocolate Ganache on top of the Sponge Cake.
- Roll the plain marzipan flat and round. Put the marzipan on the top of Chocolat Ganache.
- Put the other half of Chocolate Ganache on top of the marzipan.
- Put the top of Sponge Cake on the ganache layer.
- In the large bowl whisk the double cream and add constantly the Gelatin fix in the cram.
- Add the powdered sugar and instant coffee in the cream. Whisk until the cream become smooth and thick.
- Put the coffee mousse on the top of the cake.
- Leave the cake in the fridge to set for at least two hours.